Nicola Jappelli is an internationally renowned guitarist, regularly performing in his native Italy and further afield. This disc presents several of his compositions for the instrument. Jappelli’s works encompass a number of different styles, from minimalism to expressionism, with a focus on form and clarity. The work Orizzonte ad Est is a homage to several Eastern European composers from the 20th century, with a focus on Shostakovich, while Fly Far Away is a dialogue between two guitars, constantly moving between tension and relaxation, for which Jappelli joins Andrea Dieci in performance.
Several of the works in the collection were composed expressly for Dieci, including Overshadow (Notturno), and Light Frameworks, Sectional Drawings and Sharp Outlines, which form a compositional series, written for Dieci, which centres on the integral role of rhythm and the way which it contributes to composition.
- Guitar music written by one of the most interesting composers of the young generation in 21st century Italy, Nicola Jappelli.
- Jappelli’s music is inspired by the unique possibilities and sonorities of the guitar, and explores the extremities of expression and tonal spectrum of the instrument, by lowering the pitch of the lowest string, thus creating new harmonic effects.
- Although written in an advanced harmonic language the music is utterly enjoyable, full of contrasts between passion and serenity.
- Many of these works have been written for guitarist Andrea Dieci, who is without doubt the best advocate for this fascinating music.
- New recording, including liner notes written by the composer and a biography of composer and performer.