This collection of duets by Moritz Moszkowski, a German pianist and composer of Polish descent, astonishes in its range and variety. From the spirited Polish Folk Dances, via the elegant Deutsche Reigen or the virtuoso Tarantelle from the Klavierstücke, to the distinctive and exotic sound of the Spanish Dances for which Moszkowski was best known, every disc in the set reveals a new aspect of the composer’s craft. The influences are varied too, as the composer tips his hat to musical traditions from a range of countries including Hungary, Russia, Spain, his native Germany, and the Poland of his ancestors. This interest in styles characteristic of different countries is most clearly showcased in his Aus aller Herren Ländern (From Foreign Parts), a set that is both engaging and – of course – full of variety.
Italian pianists Domenico Monaco and Michele Solimando appear here for the first time on Brilliant Classics. Both have received many prestigious awards, including prizes in international competitions such as ‘P. Badura Skoda’ at Villa Seca (Spain), and enjoy busy performing careers alongside their regular teaching.
- Recorded in 2013, under the patronage of the State Conservatory of Music ‘Umberto Giordano’ of Foggia, Italy.
- For the first time complete on CD: the works for piano duet by Moszkowski!
- This set presents the complete works for piano duet, salon music of the highest calibre, featuring Spanish Dances, Polish Dances, Klavierstücke and other character pieces, a treasure trove of “divertissements” and other delicacies.
- Moritz Moszkowski was a virtuoso in the grand style. His piano works, of Lisztian virtuosity and grandeur, are full of pianistic invention, charm, brilliance and the occasional hint of folk music, whether from his native country Poland or other picturesque places, with a preference for Spain and its rich popular heritage.
- Excellently played by the pianistic duo Domenico Monaco and Michele Solimando, who did extensive research to collect the complete edition of these delightful works.
- Booklet contains detailed notes on the music and artist biographies.